What is Frogminer?
Frogminer is a free CFW (Custom Firmware) installation method for the Nintendo 3DS family of systems.
What will I need to do before I begin?
First, a test. Boot 3DS Download Play and launch DS Download Play (bottom button) and wait 10 seconds.
If there is a black screen or error screen, DS mode is bricked and you can't use Frogminer, sorry.
If DS Download Play boots as expected, great! Go ahead and complete the Steelminer Guide located here. Keep your
movable.sed file, you
will need it later on in this guide. NOTE: "Steel Diver: Sub Wars" is a FREE download. It's a different game
than the 3DS launch title "Steel Diver" that costs money.
Section I: Prepping your SD card
- Insert your 3DS SD card into your PC
- Download the latest version of Luma3DS here
- Download the latest version of b9sTool here
- Download the latest version of Frogtool here
- Download the
(You will need a torrent client like deluge or qbittorent to download the file)
- Copy the
movable.sed you got from Steelminer to the root of your SD Card
boot.firm from the Luma3DS 7z archive to the root of your SD Card
boot.nds from the b9sTool archive to the root of your SD Card
- Copy the
frogcert.bin to the root of your SD Card
- Create a folder called
3ds on the root of your SD Card
- Copy the
Frogtool.3dsx from the Frogtool archive to the
3ds folder on the root
of your SD Card
Section II: Injecting JPN Flipnote Studio into DS Download Play
- Reinsert the SD Card into your 3ds and power it on
- Launch Frogtool.3dsx from the Homebrew Launcher
- Select "INJECT patched DS Download Play" and press A
- Once finished, select "BOOT patched DS Download Play" and press A
When the injection is finished, you should automatically boot into Japanese Flipnote Studio
- This step might take a bit, so please be patient
Section III: Launching b9sTool
- Booted into Flipnote, follow these
steps to boot into b9stool
- Select "Install boot9strap" and confirm with START & SELECT
- Wait for it to say "Done!" Exit b9sTool and power off your 3DS
Power on your 3DS to launch the Luma3DS configuration menu
- You may need to force power off by holding the power button
Use the (A) button and the D-pad to enable "Show Nand or user string in System Settings"
Press START to save and reboot
- If your 3ds boots normally to the HOME Menu then boot9strap did not install correctly, please follow
Point B from this
You can now continue with the
you can launch Frogtool from Homebrew Launcher and select "RESTORE clean DS Download Play" to restore
Download Play functionality
- zoogie - frogminer, seedminer, b9stool
- Martin Korth (nocash) - location hints for flipnote privkeys, no$gba, Gbatek docs
- Shutterbug2000 - ugopwn exploit
- Fincs and Wintermute - Flipnote Lenny, a revised version of ugopwn
- zacchi4k and Chromaryu - tool assistance
- eip - original guide
- Kuma - revision 2 of eips guide and proofreading
- Jisagi - implementation and design